South Norwood is referred to as "South London's best-kept secret" - a town in easy reach of Central London, with peaceful green spaces, lakes and tree lined streets. A suburban Surrey development on the edge of the London Borough of Croydon, around 9 miles south of central London, it is one of the greenest areas in London, with the south east border dominated by a 125 acre (0.51 km2) country park.
South Norwood’s Clock Tower is made from cast-iron and was erected in 1907 to mark the golden wedding anniversary of William and Eliza Stanley. William Stanley was a skilled architect who designed and founded the first trades school - Stanley Technical Trades School (now Harris Academy South Norwood), as well as designing the Stanley Halls.
A building facing potential demolition in South Norwood hides fascinating links with the British film industry. Few will be aware Henderson Film Laboratories in St Dunstan's Road had a hand in producing a huge number of British films for the big screen between the 1920s and the late 1960s.
William Ford Robinson Stanley (2 February 1829 – 14 August 1909) was a British inventor with 78 patents filed in both the UK and the USA. Stanley was an engineer who designed and made precision drawing and mathematical instruments, as well as surveying instruments and telescopes, manufactured by his company 'William Ford Stanley and Co. Ltd'.
Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle, DL ( 22 May 1859 – 7 July 1930 ) was a Scottish physician and writer, most noted for his stories about the detective Sherlock Holmes, which are generally considered a major innovation in the field of crime fiction, and for the adventures of Professor Challenger. He was a prolific writer whose other works include science fiction stories, historical novels, plays and romances, poetry, and non-fiction.
Coleridge-Taylor was born in 1875 in Holborn, London, to Alice Hare Martin, an English woman, and Dr Daniel Peter Hughes Taylor, a Sierra Leonean Creole. They were not married. He was named Samuel Coleridge Taylor. His surname was Taylor, and his middle name of Coleridge was after the poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge. His family called him Coleridge Taylor.
Brocks Fireworks, formally known as Brocks Explosives Ltd, was a well-known manufacturer of fireworks, founded in London and subsequently based in Hemel Hempstead, Dumfriesshire and Norfolk. The company was taken-over by its rival Standard Fireworks in 1988.
Brocks was founded in the early 18th century in Islington by John Brock and it is thought to have been the oldest British firework manufacturer.
Lawn Tennis Championship - Won By A Norwood Lady. After a very close struggle on Friday of last week, the ladies championship of England which Mrs. Sterry relinquished after winning it last year for the fifth time, was captured by Miss Boothby. Her opponent was Miss Morton, runner up in 1908 to Mrs Sterry, who had beaten Miss Boothby in the previous round. The championship carries with it several valuable gifts. Miss D. Boothby resides at “Holmwood,” 260, South Norwood-Hill. Norwood News, July 1909.